Sunday, February 7, 2016

New Bedroom in Progress

About a year ago, I decided I was completely done with my bedroom. My dad had helped me paint it around 5th or 6th grade, and by the start of high school I'd started to loathe it. Don't get me wrong, to my 6th grade self it was perfect, but I'd just outgrown in. The walls were a mashup of black, hot pink, bright green, and orange. My curtains and comforter were zebra and the only thing decorating the walls were posters from books I'd adored in middle school.That's why over the summer I decided enough was enough and I needed something different. It's definitely still a work in progress, but I thought I'd share what I've done so far.

The first thing to go were the walls. My amazing dad (in need of a new project) painted them for me around the end of August. Finding a color was no easy task, I'd decided I wanted white walls but they had to be the right white. They couldn't be too yellow or too blue. After some trial and error, I eventually found the right shade for me. Of course, I can't for the life of me remember what color or brand it actually was.

Next up on my updates was my bed. My parents had decided it was time I upgraded from a twin mattress to a full. That, of course, came with a new bed frame. This is the frame I decided on. I'm absolutely loving having a bigger bed, more room to spread books out while I do homework.


My duvet came from Urban Outfitters,  it isn't available anymore but a similar one is here. 

My nightstand was one of the most DIY things I've ever done. Because my bed is so high, I wanted something I could adjust myself. I went to Target and picked up an unpainted, wooden crate. Then I picked out some stain and spent a night in the garage coating it with it. Once it had dried for a few days, I nailed it into the wall and done! A perfectly good, and cheap, nightstand. I added a lamp and a speaker and I had everything I needed. 


A big must I had was more light in my room. That was part of the reason I'd decided I wanted white walls. I really prefer natural light, but I added quite a bit with the string lights I hung up. I bought mine during the Christmas season, so they're just lights used to hang up around a house or tree. 


My absolute favorite thing about my bedroom has to be the pictures that I hung up on my wall. They stretch back to the summer before I started high school, and I have a long queue of others that I haven't gotten around to hanging. As of now, there are 42 pictures on my wall (Ksen is featured way too many times), but I've got a couple dozen I'd like to eventually add. The pictures add a pop of colors to my otherwise plain walls and I adore them. 


My bedroom is far from finished (I only recently got curtains, haha) but the improvements I've made I love. Hopefully by then end of 2016 I'll be completely done, although knowing me I'll probably add more things to the list.

With love,
Brina


UPDATE: Some of these links don't direct you to the exact product anymore, but similar items can be found on the sites that open instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment